It’s no secret that tree care requires the utmost skill and precision. There comes a time when some jobs are just too big and dangerous. That’s why it’s best to leave tree work in the hands of a seasoned professional. With that in mind, hiring a tree company comes with its own risks and unknowns. How do you know that one service provides more value than another? In order to get your money’s worth and protect the biggest investment in your yard, it’s imperative to ask your tree service a number of questions.
- Will they provide a current certificate of insurance and copy of their work contract? – Here’s the most important question of any. You wouldn’t let just anybody handle your trees, would you? Unfortunately, many homeowners fall victim to companies who aren’t insured. Remember that if someone doesn’t have the proper insurance and is injured for whatever reason on your property, you’re the one responsible for damages.
- Do they have the proper credentials? – Play it safe and only consider a tree company with an International Society of Arboriculture certified arborist, a Tree Care Industry Association Accredited Business, or one who employs a Certified Tree Care Safety Professional. If you ask for credentials and the business fails to provide them, move on to the next one on your list.
- Can they provide references? – Every service-based company should be willing to share a list of satisfied customers. Just be sure that you can see references that are recent. It doesn’t do much good to see testimonials from several years ago.
- Can they offer a detailed estimate? – Ideally, you want to get written estimate from at least three companies before making your decision. The estimate should include work that’s involved, duration of the project, and of course, the projected cost.
- What equipment will be used? – A professional tree service should have the decency to not drive massive power equipment over your lawn and flower beds. To protect your landscaping, consider telling the company about any sprinkler heads or other objects that may be damaged. It’s also good to know the company’s policy if something in the yard is damaged. Lastly, ask them about cleanup and what all it entails. Considering how much you will be investing in tree care, the yard should be spotless once the job is done.
- How long will the project take? – This goes back to the written estimate aforementioned above. One company you talk with may say that the project can be completed in several hours, while another might say a few days will be needed. By knowing this information, you can hold the company accountable should they take longer than what was originally quoted.
- Does the company seem professional? – We’re getting into the details at this point. But with tree care companies, the details make all the difference. For example, are the trucks and equipment in good shape? Are the workers courteous and willing to answer any questions you may have? Plus, don’t forget to look at a company’s website. This can give you a pretty good feel of the company and provide insight into services, history, etc.
- How long have they been in the industry? – Now’s not the time to let an inexperienced tree service tackle your project. If a mistake is made at any point, you could wind up paying for the same work twice.
- Do they use ‘topping?’ – In a recent blog post, we explained the dangers of tree topping. As a quick refresher, this involves removing live sections from the top of the tree. Simply put, companies top trees as an easy way out. However, topping does much more harm than good, which is why you shouldn’t consider a company that relies on this strategy.
- Will the crew use hard hats and other personal protective equipment while on the property? – It’s required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration that property protective equipment is used for any tree care operation.
GET TO KNOW PRO TREE SERVICE
Finding a reputable tree company is anything but easy. But if you’re looking to have a tree trimmed, pruned, or completely removed from your property, Pro Tree is the answer. Since 1989, we’ve been helping folks in Chicago and surrounding suburbs solve their tree dilemmas. As cost leaders in the industry, our best price guarantee means that will receive the most competitive prices every time. Simply show us an estimate from another company and we’ll beat it by 10 percent. You never have to worry about hidden fees or gimmicks.
Our team at Pro Tree is fully licensed, insured, and bonded. We are legally incorporated and carry commercial general liability, workman’s comp, and all the required municipal bonds and licenses. If you’ve been searching for hassle-free tree services, look no further than Pro Tree.
Call today to request your estimate.